Are emails still a valid tool in the B2B telemarketing toolbox?
The death of the email as a marketing tool has been widely muted but in reality it is still a valid and essential tool for any B2B Email marketing campaign. Yes it is true, with just the sheer volume of emails plus all the spam, marketing emails have become more indistinct over recent years. However, a well-researched and crafted email can still deliver results and help to communicate and build relationships with prospects, gather important data and help boost marketing ROI. So why do so many campaigns miss the mark and continue to fall short on the campaign’s return.
To build, execute and maintain effective email marketing campaigns, one must pay close attention to the audience and the message and avoid the common trap of simply blasting out self-promotional messages. This only leads to recipients hitting the delete button.
To achieve campaigns that boost lead nurturing and returns on ROI, VSL has its own practice procedures in executing a successful B2B email marketing campaign:
1. Use email campaigns as a dialogue – Many marketers follow the “batch and blast” method of email campaigns. This achieves the objective of sending out bulk email shots, but does nothing in adding to the dialogue with prospects. VSL looks to extend the conversation by listening, adding relevant value and engaging with prospects with meaningful communication via email marketing campaigns.
2. Evolving past the click through rates – We understand that standard metrics are important, but our experience tells us by looking beyond just statistics by exploring all the information available there is a wealth of additional information. eg where prospects went on the web site, number of visits, visit frequency and how you can segment them based on their behaviours.
3. Segmentation –We also look at combining the standard segmentation criteria with behavioural data to create more complex segmentation strategies.
4. Focus on the message – Remember email campaigns send out more than communication – they send out a message. We use these campaigns to tailor our client’s messages according to the prospect’s profiles, interests and actions. This links in with the segmentation process.
5. Automation – Saving time spent on sending out campaigns is key to increasing the time needed for creativity and strategy. We use various solutions to automate campaigns based on event and behavioural triggers which gives us more time to build relationships with prospects.
6. Keeping the campaign fresh –To avoid having clients’ email campaigns underperform, we look at mixing up campaign styles and methods. We are always testing components like; different delivery days and times, different content angles, surveys and fulfilment pieces.
7. Deliverability – Even the best plan will fail if your message doesn’t reach the inbox of your intended recipient. We always proof read and test messages beforehand and identify any issues that may prevent your message from getting to your prospect’s inbox, like avoiding common spam triggers.
8. Testing – To achieve optimal results for our clients campaigns, we undertake various testing procedures, such as subject lines images, change in copy or other small revisions. We also test the deliverability of the email with a small in-house group prior to delivery and make sure that all your links go to the right pages.
9. Analysing the results – Email marketing campaign reports don’t all require large data dumps into Excel or hours of number crunching. VSL also uses reporting dashboards within automated solutions to get the details out in a format legible for all. We use these details to understand prospect interaction and improve future campaigns while boosting marketing ROI.
10. Keep in touch with prospects – We also undertake and/or encourage our clients to utilize check-in emails to build the relationship with prospects over time and gain useful feedback. These messages are another way of keeping the lines of communication open and letting your prospects know you’re not just an automated message.
To learn more about email marketing campaigns and how they increase marketing ROI, For a full end to end email campaign and follow up telemarketing campaign please email us at email@example.com or call us on +44 (0)1403 788480.
Tags: B2B Telemarketing, Email Marketing